New Opportunities for Better User Group Software
The main activity of the NOBUGS (New Opportunities for Better User Group Software)
group is the organization of a series of conferences.
The aim of these conferences is to foster
collaboration and exchange between scientists and IT professionals working on software for X-ray,
neutron and muon sources around the world.
Better software for data acquisition and data analysis will increase productivity of
facility users and thus maximize the scientific output.
There was a precursor to NOBUGS, involving only synchrotron people which
served as an inspiration.
This was A Workshop on Graphical User Interfaces for Synchrotron Protein Crystallography at Brookhaven
National Laboratory in 1995.
- NOBUGS 12 was held October 22-26, 2018 at Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- NOBUGS 11, the 20th anniversary meeting, was held Copenhagen, Denmark, organised by the European Spallation Source in collaboration with the Niels Bohr Institute of the University of Copenhagen and MAX IV
- NOBUGS 10 was hosted by J-PARC at KEK, Tsukuba, Japan (2014)
- NOBUGS 9 was hosted by Diamond Light Source and STFC ISIS in Oxfordshire, United Kingdom (2012)
- NOBUGS 8 at Park Vista Hotel, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, USA (2010)
- NOBUGS 7 at Rydges Hotel, Cronulla, Sydney, Australia (2008).
- NOBUGS 6 at Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory, Berkeley, California, USA (2006)
- NOBUGS 5 at PSI, Switzerland (2004)
- NOBUGS 4 at NIST, Gaithersburg, USA (2002)
- NOBUGS 3 at Daresbury Laboratory, United Kingdom (2000)
- NOBUGS 2 at Argonne National Laboratory, Chicago, USA (1998)
- NOBUGS 1 at ILL, France (1996)
The conference topics include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborative Initiatives
- Data Acquisition
- Data Management
- Data Formats
- Data Reduction
- Automation of Experiments or Processing
- Data Analysis
- Remote Data Acquisition or Data Analysis
- Model Fitting
- Data Visualization
- Instrument Simulation
- Web Technologies
- Software Project Management
- Scientific Software Engineering
- User Facility Management
- Scientific Databases
NOBUGS International Advisory Committee
The conferences are overseen by a committee. Membership and terms of reference are visible on the committee page.
NOBUGS Mailing Lists
General Mailing List
This list is intended not only for announcements (conferences, software releases, job postings from facilities), but also for requests for help/information and discussions. All people with an interest in software at X-ray, neutron and muon sources are encouraged to subscribe.
Committee Mailing List
This list is restricted to committee members.